Dedicating to the 60th Birth Anniversary of the Fourth Druk Gyalpo, the Environmental Science Curriculum was formally launched on the 21st February 2015 with its introduction into the Class IX as one of the optional subjects with effect from 2015.
The goal is to build a cadre of young people equipped with knowledge, skills and values to engage them in the conservation of natural heritage, promoting sustainable and equitable use of natural resources, preventing all forms of environmental degradation in the pursuit of GNH. Therefore, the ES is introduced into the formal curriculum with the following objectives.
- To develop knowledge and skills for conserving the natural heritage including rich biodiversity.
- To equip them with tools for addressing sustainable production and utilization, and equitable distribution of natural resources.
- To instil positive attitudes and values towards the environment so that they demonstrate environment friendly behaviour in the sustainable management of the environment.
- To motivate them to take actions towards environmental conservation and uphold the principles of GNH.
- To empower them to make right choices for sustainable future with global perspectives and transforming them to be responsible and productive citizens in the 21st century world.
- To contribute towards the general education of learners.
In this regard, subsequent to the successful launch and introduction of ES in Class IX in 2015, DCRD requests all the Dzongkhag Education sectors to inform their respective MSS and HSS to plan the continuation of Environmental Science in Class X in 2016. It is envisaged to scale up to classes XI and XII in the subsequent years and link with the ES course at the Degree level.
We sincerely solicit kind support and cooperation from all the organizations.
- Click HERE to download the official letter.