The Arts Education Section of CAPSD was established in May 2008. The Section is mandated to develop the arts education curriculum for Bhutan.
The Section is supported by a Subject Committee. The Subject Committee is a group of artistically talented teachers. They were selected from more than 80 teachers who expressed interest in joining the committee. Based on their art portfolio, the following teachers were selected as members of the Arts Education Subject Committee:
- Mr. Kinley Dorji, Principal Bitekha LSS, Paro.
- Mr. Pratap Tamang, Teacher Lokchina LSS, Chukha
- Mr. Sonam Phuntsho, Teacher Samdrup Jongkhar MSS, Samdrup Jongkhar
- Mr. Pema Wangchuk, Teacher Buli CPS, Zhemgang
- Ms. Sonam Choden, Teacher Kurichu LSS, Mongar
- Ms. Uma Devi Ghallay, Teacher Gyensa PS, Haa
- Mr. Tshering Dorji, Teacher Simphu CPS, Trongsa
- Mr. Nawang Gyeltshen, Teacher Bjena CPS, Wangdue
- Mr. Chakdor Gyeltshen, Teacher Peljorling MSS, Samtse
The group started working as a team from January 2009. Over two winter vacations (2008- 2009 and 2009- 2010), the group has developed the following documents:
Arts Education Curriculum Framework for classes PP- IV
Arts Education Teachers’ Guide for Class PP
Arts Education Students’ Workbook for Class PP
Arts Education Teachers’ Guide for Class I
Arts Education Students’ Workbook for Class I
Arts Education Teachers’ Guide for Class II
Arts Education Students’ Workbook for Class II
In the development of the documents the group was guided by the following people:
- Mr. Yang Gyeltshen, Lecturer Samtse College of Education
- Mr. Ngawang Phuntsho, Lecturer Paro College of Education
- Mr. Nima Tshering, Curriculum Officer CAPSD, DSE, Paro.
In the next few years, the group will develop the documents for classes III and IV.
As per the directive of the CAPSD Board during the 24th CAPSD Board Meeting, arts education curriculum materials for Bhutan will be developed for classes PP- IV.
For latest list of prescribed curriculum resources (textbooks, teacher guides, workbooks, references, readers, charts), refer prescribed books from Downloads section.
Mr. Sonam Tshering looks after this curriculum.