As the national epicentre for education innovation and transformation, in broad strokes, based on the empirical studies derived through in-depth reviews and research works, the Council will determine the national school curricula and teacher education programmes, and strive to improve the overall mainstream education system. Therefore, REC shall:
- Conduct educational research in curriculum and instruction, assessment and evaluation, teacher education, and educational policies.
- Review, design, develop and publish contextually relevant and cutting-edge curriculum and instructional materials for school education.
- Develop and pilot innovative curriculum, instructional approaches, assessment methods and teacher professional development programmes to enhance teacher competencies and student learning.
- Develop implementation plan to support the Ministry of Education in the implementation of the approved curriculum or new programmes.
- Provide and facilitate forum for academic and professional discourses and exchange of ideas and best practices at both national and international levels.
- Provide technical expertise and work in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Engage in joint endeavours with international institutions of similar nature to meet shared objectives and build national capacities through exchange of ideas and expertise.
- Seek to mobilize funds in addition to grants provided by the Royal Government, and take up assignments commissioned by stakeholders.